The time honoured tradition of afternoon tea is perfect on a rainy day or to mark a special occasion with loved ones.
From hotel restaurants to bona fide tea houses, Trinidad has great choices for bottomless pots of tea along with treats both savoury and sweet (reservations are strongly recommended for these tea services):
DIANNE’S TEA SHOP (Maraval, Trinidad)
- Days & Times: Tea is available Monday – Friday: 7am-5pm with tea starting at 1pm last reservation at 3.30pm; Sat: 8am-5pm with tea starting from around 1pm; Sun: 9am-2pm tea available all day.
- Tea Menu: Choose from a range of teas including Dianne’s specialty and premium teas. The Signature Diane menu includes finger sandwiches, scones, canapes, tartlets and cakes. Link to tea menu.
HOUSE OF JAIPUR (Woodbrook, Trinidad; (868) 624-7465) – Take your tea in House of Jaipur’s beautiful tearoom!
- Days & Time: Tearoom schedule, Tuesday – Saturday, 10am-4pm
- Price: Tea and food are available a la carte – prices are available on House of Jaipur’s website.
- Tea Menu: offers nearly 30 teas: Black, organic, green, white, and rooibos teas (click here for the full tea menu)
- Savoury & Sweet: Indian savouries like dosas, lamb samosas, masala club sandwiches, and a masala vegetable burger (click here for the full Indian savoury menu); Indian sweets are gulab jamun, nan khatai, kulfi, and Indian sweet plate (click here for full Indian sweets menu).
ABERCROMBIE TEA HOUSE at St. Joseph’s Convent (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 624-7756)
- Day & Time: All-day tea service, Monday-Friday 11am-5pm
- Special Offer: 3 savouries, 2 sweet with tea $100 pp (no tax)
TIKI VILLAGE, KAPOK Hotel (Maraval, Trinidad; (868)622-5282)
- Days & Time: Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 3pm-5pm
- Price: Classic Afternoon Tea: $125/person exclusive of taxes. Afternoon Tea with Prosecco: $200/person exclusive of taxes
- Tea service includes tea, 4 savories, 3 sweet. Coffee is also available. Link to flyer.
JAFFA AT THE OVAL (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 628-6200 or (868) 622-6825)
- Day & Time: Wednesday, 4pm – 6pm, reservations recommended
- Price: $165/person plus VAT
- “Tea” Menu: Selection of teas, herbal teas or coffee
- Savoury & Sweet: Finger sandwiches, filled profiteroles, savoury pies and quiche, English tea scones w/double cream & preserves, assorted cakes and pastries. (Served buffet style.)
ZAZOU BISTRO MODERNE (Maraval, Trinidad: (868) 750-2083)
- Days & Time: Saturdays, from 3:30pm once a month and by reservation for small groups. Next tea is 27th August 2016. Call for schedule.
- Tea Menu: Link to August 2016 afternoon tea menu at ZaZou Bistro Moderne.
- $195 pp tax inclusive
ORTINOLA GREAT HOUSE (Maracas Valley, Trinidad; (868) 696-1507)
Ortinola is probably Trinidad’s most scenic and relaxing place for tea. The flora and fauna of Ortinola’s beautiful grounds actually inspired local artist Sarah Beckett’s recent work, Ortinola Variations.
- Days & Time: Occasional Saturdays or Sundays (call for schedule), 2:30pm – 5pm
- Price: Tea is $175/person inclusive of service charge & VAT (children $100/person inclusive) – Tea & Juice or Tea & Coffee served with 4 savories and 3 sweet.
- Savoury & Sweet Sample Menu – Accra with Melongene; Vegetarian Samosas; Spinach Quiche; Quiche Lorraine; Open-Faced Chicken Salad Sandwich; Smoked Salmon w/Cream Cheese in Filo; Mini-Croissants w/Cheese Filling; Carrot Cake; Fruit Cup; Cheesecake Brownie; Sponge Cake w/Guava Jam Filling; Eclairs.
- Note: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to Ortinola’s tea service mailing list.
CAFFE DEL MARE (Chaguaramas, Trinidad; (868) 634-4000 ext. 437)
- Days & Time: Mon – Thurs 3.30pm – 6.00pm, Fri – Sun 3.30pm – 8pm. Reservations recommended 48hrs in advance. Must leave email and contact with them so they can email you the menu and you make your selections.
- Prices: $75 pp + tax
- “Tea” Menu: Selection of teas and/or coffee or juice depending on selected tea package
- Savoury & Sweet: Sandwiches (cucumber, tuna, ham, and smoked salmon); Savouries (vegetable spring rolls and chicken & herb puff); Sweets (chocolate torte and cherry cheesecake); Scones (ham, cranberry and English cream), along with butter, creams and jams.
POOL TERRACE GARDEN RESTAURANT – Hilton Trinidad (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 624-3211)
- Day & Time: Thursday 4pm – 6pm
- Price: $205/person inclusive of taxes, Kids under 4 are free, ages 5 – 12 half price.
- Tea Menu: Tea selection from Tea Forte
- Savoury & Sweet: Cheese, ham, cucumber open-faced sandwiches; savoury pastries; scones and other sweet pastries; jams and jellies. (Served buffet style.)
DOLCE VITA GOURMET CAFE (MovieTowne POS, Trinidad; (868) 624-6378/624-9984)
- Days & Time: Tea schedule, Monday – Friday, 3pm-6pm (except for public holidays)
- Price: $125/person inclusive of taxes
- Menu: 4 savories, 3 sweet, 1 pot of tea and unlimited coffee
PAX GUEST HOUSE (Tunapuna, Trinidad; (868) 662-4084). Ramin Ganeshram describes tea at the Pax Guest House as “the tea of my dreams,” in her book “Sweet Hands: Island Cooking from Trinidad & Tobago.”
- Days & Time: Monday – Sunday, 3pm – 5:30pm reservations recommended.
- Price: $40/person inclusive of VAT (requests for honey $6 extra per person)
TOBAGO: PEMBOIS at the Magdalena Grand (868) 660-8500
- Days & Time: Friday-Saturday, Monday-Tuesday, Thursday from 4:30pm (call to confirm)
- Price: $74.25/person exclusive of taxes
More of a coffee drinker? Check out our five great coffee spots in the West (Trinidad)!
NOTE: Every effort is made to keep this list updated, but please call to confirm tea days and times, menus and prices. All tea services, menus and prices as well as the days and times are subject to being withdrawn or changed at the restaurant’s discretion.