Twenty-one places in the West (Trinidad) where you can grab a decent meal, hearty soup or sandwich for about $50 or less (and none of the places are fast food chains):
1. Gourmet wraps, sandwiches and pastas $35+ at HUMZINGER. Tuna steak wraps, grilled chicken wraps (‘this aint no gyro’) and more. Humzinger juicebar & kickass kitchen, #50A Maraval Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad. (868) 222-ZING (9464). Link to menu.
2. Fried Chicken, Beef Bulgogi, Chili Shrimp, and other lunch items $50 and under at GOLDEN BELL. This lunch-only option is the fried chicken of your dreams (the chicken comes with rice and fresh salad). Golden Bell Korean Restaurant, #58 Maraval Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad. (868) 628-0214. Link to menu.
3. Flatbreads, Veg Quiche, Lasagna, 4-Bean Chili on Mashed Plantain, Veggie Burger are $50 to $60 at BAREFOOT BISTRO. This cozy restaurant is a great choice for vegan and vegetarian options! Barefoot Bistro, #22 Gallus Street, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 395-1473. Link to menu.
4. Pasta dishes, Paninis, Lasagna, Subs, Wraps and Salads all come in near $50 at HOT SUBS based at two malls in Trinidad. Hot Subs, The Falls at Westmall, Trinidad (and also at Grand Bazaar). (868) 222-8900
5. ’Create Your Own’ & ‘House Creation’ Salads at SALAD CAFE from $35 and up. Salad for lunch is the plan here. Salad Cafe, Corner of Ariapita Ave. & Ana Street, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 623-GREEN (4733). Link to menu
6. Salads (Classic Caesar & Asian Tower) and Sandwiches (Twist to the Middle East & Mexican Style Burrito) at URBAN OASIS CAFE squeak in at a little more than $50. Urban Oasis Cafe, One Woodbrook Place (next door to IMax Theatre, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 759-1994. Link to menu.
7. Paninis, Wraps and Salads from $24 to $48 at THE CANVAS. Grab wraps like a Roast Beef Club ($48) and Veggie Delight ($32) or a Turkey Panini ($32). The Canvas Bistro & Bar, #3 Long Circular Road, St. James, Trinidad. (868) 223-7251. Link to menu.
8. Quesadillas, Tacos, Fajitas from $30 to $45 from the lunch menu at SENOR JALAPENOS. Choose your meat (chicken, barbacoa, carnita, steak or shrimp) and make a lunch. Senor Jalapenos Mexican Grill, #21 Ariapita Ave, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 624-7940.
9. Everything from Jerk Chicken ($30) to Al’s Fettuccine al Pomodoro ($50) at AL’S DINER. Various entrees, pasta dishes, pizzas and of course all-day breakfast for $50 and under. Al’s Diner, corner of Crystal Stream Main Road and the Diego Martin Highway (parking lot is to the right of the restaurant). (868) 632-7447.
10. ”Snack and Meal Boxes” from $34 to $45 at HAKKA. One meat/fish plus one side for $34-$43; One meat/fish plus two sides for $37-$45. Hakka Restaurant & Bar, # 4 Taylor Street, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 622-0004.
11. Cheese Pizza $49.95 at CHOP CHOPS. Afternoon pizza special (Monday-Friday, 2pm-5pm) from a great pizza spots in T&T. Chop Chops Bistro, #43 Mucurapo Road, St. James, Trinidad. (868) 628-5555 or (868) 622-8989.
12. Pita Sandwiches from $33 to $46 at PITA PIT. Everything from tasty grilled steak to veggie pitas here at Pita Pit (add a drink for $5 more ). Pita Pit, Starlite Shopping Plaza (Diego Martin) and Shoppes at Maraval, Trinidad. (868) 632-5893.
13. Soup, the biggest bowl (also known as the Nah Boy) $30-40 at DE BOSS AH SOUP. Make it a soup meal from cow heel soup, corn soup, fish broth or beef soup at De Boss Ah Soup. De Boss Ah Soup, #48 Tragarete Road, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 389-4455.
14. ”Chicken from the grill” with two sides $50 or a wrap (chicken, shrimp, lamb or veggie) $35-45 at HONG KONG GRAFFITI. Check into HKG before or after your movie for a quick meal; make sure to try one of the pows as a side. Hong Kong Graffiti, MovieTowne, Port of Spain, Trinidad. (868) 624-8588.
15. Arepa (Plato) with 3 fillings $50 at TARYN’S. Awesome arepas here and with any three fillings (choose from chicken, beef, cheese, tuna, ham, black beans, etc.), you won’t go hungry! Taryn’s, The Panyol Place, # 23 Mucurapo Road, St. James, Trinidad. (868) 622-3989. Link to menu.
16. Wraps, Burritos, Tacos, Rice Bowls & Salads from $25 to $50 for the larger sizes at WRAP WORKS DELI. Choose your meal and then select your filling – chicken, steak, fish or veggies plus toppings and sauces. Wrap Works Deli, Corner Ariapita Avenue & De Verteuil Streets, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 624-WRAP (9727). Link to menu.
17. Jerk Chicken and other ‘yaad combos’ or a half-chicken from $25 to $50 at LIKKLE LIKKLE JAMAICA. Folks swear that Likkle Likkle Jamaica turns out Trinidad’s best jerk chicken and we’re inclined to agree. Likkle Likkle Jamaica, #91 Ariapita Avenue, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 290-2828. Link to menu.
18. Chicken Pesto, Egg Salad, Tandoori Chicken, Mushroom Duxelle and Caprice Sandwiches $44-50 at PECHE PATISSERIE. Our favourite spot for breakfast also serves a mean lunch, including sandwiches near the “cheap” eats price point. Peche Patisserie, #45 Picton Street, Newtown, Port of Spain, Trinidad. (868) 222-8508.
19. Grilled Vegetable Sandwich w/potato salad $45 at JARDIN. The prettiest respite in the mall, Jardin is best known for its desserts, but we like the sandwiches and salads here too. Jardin, The Falls at West Mall, Westmoorings, Trinidad. (868) 632-0265
20. Gim Bap, Bul Go Ki, Ja Jang Pasta, Fried Chicken Cutlet and more $49.99 at SONATA KOREAN RESTAURANT. Gim Bap is the Korean style sushi that’s more of snack than a meal. It makes the list though because it’s eight rolls and more importantly we’re totally addicted to it. Sonata, #34 Murray Street, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 628-1237. Link to lunch specials menu.
21. Veni Soup & Bake (Fish Broth, Pigtail, Corn, Beef, Veggie, Lentil, etc.) $25-$45 at VENI SOUP (downstairs from Veni Mange). Menu changes daily, but the soup and coconut bake is always delicious. Veni Soup, #67A Ariapita Avenue, Woodbrook, Trinidad. (868) 624-4597.
Tell us in the comments what cheap eats we should add to the list…