ALLEGRIA FROZEN YOGURT & CUPCAKES (Gulf City Mall, San Fernando, Trinidad) opened in mid- February. Hours are Monday – Sunday: 10am-9pm. (868) 688-8009.
ASIAN FUSION (Arima, Trinidad) is scheduled to open on February 28th and feature “delightful Asian cuisine and mouthwatering local dishes.” Opening hours from 10:30am. #13 Hollis Avenue. (868) 664-3888 or 664-2888.
BURGER KING (Marabella, Trinidad) opened its 15th restaurant in Trinidad this week on at Southern Main Road in Marabella.
CAFE CHRISCROSS (Woodbrook, Trinidad) opened in mid-February at #9A Warrens Street in Woodbrook. the cafe serves coffee, tea, pastries and desserts. Hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday-Saturday. (868) 622-1576.
CAFFE DEL MARE (Chaguaramas, Trinidad) moved to a new and bigger location on the CrewsInn’s compound (two doors down from its original location).
DIANE’S TEA SHOP (Maraval, Trinidad) offers breakfast, lunch and a tea service and opened on February 14th. #119 Long Circular Road (between Akasha Yoga Studio and Malabar Farms). (868) 223-3832. More details on Dianne’s here (link).
FOOD COURT @ CARLTON CENTRE (San Fernando, Trinidad) opened with six new restaurants – Soup It Up; Stews; Bok Choy; Grill Stop; Krazy Kurry; and Sadie’s. #61 St. James Street.
NEW MENUS AT RESTAURANTS IN TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
CHOP CHOPS BISTRO (St. James, Port of Spain, Trinidad) has added a fantastic line-up of salads to its menu — a Steak Salad; Mediterranean Salad with lamb sausage meatballs or rosemary chicken tenders; and Pat Cham Kai Salad (5-spice seared chicken breast, rice noodles, lychee and more).
CINNAMON BAKING (Diego Martin, Trinidad) added a very convenient grab-and-g0 breakfast menu (coconut and fry bake, sada roti along with buljol, smoked herring, tomato choka and stewed pumpkin. Link to our Cinnamon Baking pictures.
HILLTOP RESTAURANT @TTHTI (Chaguaramas, Trinidad) rolled out a new a la carte menu in February available Monday-Saturday, 12pm-2pm and dinner on Saturdays, 6:30pm-8:30pm. Call (868) 634-2144 ext. 288 for reservations. Link to menu (page 1 of 2) and Link to menu (page 2 of 2).
RESTAURANT CLOSINGS IN TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
EL PECOS (Woodbrook, Trinidad) is temporarily closed due to a recent fire.
HONG KONG CITY RESTAURANT (Port of Spain, Trinidad) closed.
GHAZAL, THE INDIAN GRILL (Woodbrook, Trinidad) closed its doors.
BOTTICELLI’S RESTAURANT (Grand Bazaar, Trinidad) closed.
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO CUISINE & FOOD INDUSTRY IN THE NEWS:
- Cardi signs with Red Stripe to grow cassava, T&T Guardian, February 23, 2014
- Soul food with Latin flavours (TARYN’S, THE PANYOL PLACE), Trinidad Express, February 21, 2014
- Burger King opens 15th T&T restaurant, T&T Guardian, February 21, 2014
- Kiran Akal takes ‘super premium’ Chai Rum global, T&T Guardian, February 20, 2014. Link to a picture of the Chai Rum
- Has a passion for cooking (SHIANN’S), Newsday, February 19, 2014
- Culinary tourism: Does Trinidad and Tobago qualify? Trinidad Express, February 18, 2014
- Food safety and ‘street food,’ Newsday, February 13, 2014
- Cocoa prices increased, Newsday, February 14, 2014
- Flavours of ‘Johnnie,’ Newsday, February 14, 2014
- Siegert’s Rooms, Newsday, February 12, 2014
- Chef Khalid anxious to work on John Walker luxury yacht, T&T Guardian, February 6, 2014
- Six winners in Johnnie Walker wave, Newsday, February 5, 2014
- Solera by Angostura opens in Woodbrook, T&T Guardian, February 2, 2014