Confession time…we’re not big fans of buffets.
Oh, we love the idea of a buffet, but the sad truth is that we don’t like the idea of the mix n’ match cuisines on a buffet. Not to mention that most buffets are fraught with the danger of overcooked or “old” food.
CHAUD’s new Sunday Lunch has us rethinking our buffet notions.
Blame it on the Poached Shrimp Cocktail; Salmon Sashimi; Asian Pak Choy & Mushroom salad; Roasted Broccoli Corn & Onions; the grilled to order Mahi Mahi and veggies. And the traditional Sunday lunch food that we sampled and loved: the Stewed Oxtail, a crispy Coo Coo with Callaloo and a really nice Breadfruit Oildown.
Set on the Savannah, CHAUD’S Sunday lunch is a partial transplant from the old Chaud Creole brunch with several local favourites making the short trip around the Savannah to CHAUD.
Start your Sunday lunch here by sipping on a Bloody Orange Mimosa and then make the rounds of the buffet. Slowly but surely our buffet biases melted away and we embraced the buffet (and a bit of gluttony), eating a little of almost everything and sometimes a lot.
Dessert was an experience onto itself as all of CHAUD’S sweet treats are made in-house. The menu changes every Sunday, but say a little prayer for the Brownie S’mores to appear on every Sunday lunch menu. Studded with chocolate chips, these brownies are so moist, ahhhh. The real story with this dessert are the housemade marshmallows, crisped on the outside and light as air inside. Break your diet, your “I don’t eat pork” stance, or any rules that would prevent you from partaking in these awesome Brownie S’mores.
CHAUD’S Sunday Lunch generally has eight stations including the aforementioned dessert station with our Brownie S’mores.
On the day we visited, the buffet menu featured:
- Breakfast - Shirred Eggs; Hash Browns; Bacon; Fresh Fruit Salad; Yoghurt; Granola; Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins; Pumpkin Spice Loaf; Banana Bread and Brioche Rolls
- Crepes (live station) – served with Burnt Orange Sauce, Crème Chantilly or Ganache
- Appetizers – Charcuterie; Cowheel Souse; Smoked Salmon Platter; Poached Shrimp Cocktail; Salmon Sashimi with Pickled Ginger & Wasabi; Crispy Shark Bites with Shadon Beni Aioli; and Pumpkin Soup with Herb Croutons
- Carving (live station) - Roasted Prime Rib with Peppercorn-Cognac Sauce, Roast Potatoes, Mushrooms & Onions, Vegetable Bouquetière and Creamed Spinach
- Grill (live station) - Chicken or Mahi Mahi Brochettes served with Chimichurri & Pico de Gallo and Assorted Grilled Vegetables
- Entrees - Duck al’Orange; Navarin of Lamb; Vegetable Mirepoix; Roasted Pork Belly served with Cinnamon-Apple Compote and a Sweet Onion Jus; Herb Rice Pilaf; White Bean Ragoût; Ratatouille
- Local - Burnt Sugar Stewed Oxtail; Cornmeal Dumplings; Kingfish Creole in a Sweet Pepper-Tomato Ragu; Coo Coo & Callaloo; and Breadfruit ‘Oil Down’
- Salads - Classic Caesar; Cucumbers with Yoghurt; Apple, Walnut & Blue Cheese; Asian Pak Choy & Mushroom; Griddled Corn, Roasted Broccoli & Onions; 5-Bean: White, Red, Black, Black-eye, Edamame; Tomatoes, Red Onion, Shaved Parmesan, Balsamic Dressing; Roasted Pumpkin, Candied Pumpkin Seeds & Spinach; Wild Rice, Orzo, Petit Pois, Garbanzos & Sundried Tomatoes; and Mixed Greens with House Dressings
- Desserts - Chocolate Éclairs; Strawberry Roulade; Banana Cream Tartlets; Mango Cheese Cake; Carrot-Pineapple Cake; Warm Bread & Butter Pudding; Brownie Smores; Crème Caramel Ice Cream; Cookie Platter; and a Cheese Platter with Dried Fruit, Candied Nuts & Date Chutney
CHAUD Sunday Lunch Details:
- Time: 11am-3pm, Sundays
- Price: $300 inclusive of all taxes (children under 12 years are half price and children under 5 years are free)
- Reservations: (868) 623-0375
- Link to this Sunday’s lunch menu (October 6th) – check Chaud’s Facebook page for the current menu
- LINK TO ALL OUR CHAUD SUNDAY LUNCH PICTURES