- AIOLI (Maraval, Trinidad) has been tinkering in the kitchen to bring you a new lunch menu. We’ve done the heavy lifting and tasted nearly everything on the new menu from Crispy Truffle Fries to the Louisiana Po Boy…all the details coming up in a post soon.
- CHAUD CAFE & WINE BAR (Woodbrook, Trinidad) unveiled a new sandwich menu on August 20th, which includes a very promising-sounding Chaud Dog – Beer Braised Grilled Pork Sausage topped with Sautéed Onions, Cheddar Cheese Sauce and Homemade Piccalilli! P.S., the Chaud Dog is locally made by Del Mano.
- BLOOM’S IMPORTS‘ meats, poultry and seafood products are now available at Bottlestop in Maraval. This is great news for those in the Maraval area!
- THE OISHI LOUNGE (Woodbrook, Trinidad) – Get your sushi on at The Oishi Lounge, Rossco’s new Tuesday evening sushi buffet experience from Sakura Arts. Last Tuesday we popped over to sample the sushi, fried dumplings, seaweed salad and a complimentary glass of wine. This week’s menu features Maki rolls; California rolls; Flaming tuna rolls; and Lime light rolls (lime crab salad topped with tuna). The hot bar includes fried rice, lemon chicken, chicken potstickers and Flying Tiger wings. Oh, did we mention that it’s only $200 inclusive? Click here for pictures!
- GENEVA SWEET launched its line of gourmet chocolate chip cookie dough at supermarkets and gourmet grocers in Trinidad this month. Complete list of retailers selling Geneva Sweet’s cookie dough is here.
- TEXAS DE BRAZIL (Port of Spain, Trinidad) is offering 15 percent off your meal if you “use your Republic Bank Credit Card @ Texas de Brazil…offer valid August 1st through September 30, 2013. Discount cannot be combined with any other discounts.”
- ALL OUT SPORTS BAR & GOURMET GRILL (Port of Spain, Trinidad) has a “Carib special on this week* for Great Race — $60 pitchers from 4pm-8pm, can’t beat that!” *Week of August 19th, 2013
IN THE NEWS:
- Chaud Creole announces its closure (links to articles in the Guardian — interview with Kahlid Mohammed and BC Pires’ column titled “Show Creole,” August 28 & August 30, 2013 respectively.
- “Doubles, food outlets [in San Fernando] shut down,” Trinidad & Tobago Newsday, August 30, 2013.
- THE only way food outlets and restaurant owners may adhere to specific health standards is if the Government makes those standards the law.” (Food standards law needed - says health inspectors - Trinidad Express, August 22, 2013)
- SMAK’S Teas has a new Chai Rum coming up out in November! What a combination, right? (Best of Both Worlds: Trinidad’s Tea-Infused Chai Rum - LargeUp.com, August 16, 2013)
- “The Public Health Department of the San Fernando City Corporation yesterday advised that Hakka Express, a fast food outlet at Gulf City Mall, La Romaine, was NOT ordered closed, as initially reported.” (Hakka Express ‘not ordered to close’ – Trinidad Express, August 15, 2013)
- Restaurant at Southern Food Basket is shut down “for public health violations” (San Fernando’s food wars – Trinidad Guardian, August 19, 2013)
- Wans’ Chinese Restaurant in Vistabella, Hap Hing Chinese Restaurant and Chao Chao Chinese Restaurant in Marabella were “ordered closed by public health inspectors” (3 Chinese restaurants shut down – Trinidad Express, July 17, 2013)
- Recent interviews on CNC3′s Business Line with Buzo’s General Manager, Peter George and Khalil Ali of Peche Patisserie about their restaurants and the local restaurant industry: