Calling all food lovers!
The award winning Trinidad & Tobago National Culinary Team* is gearing up for the 2013 Taste of the Caribbean competition, which will be held June 26th-30th in Miami, Florida.
Trinidad & Tobago is the only Caribbean island to win Taste of the Caribbean‘s coveted title Caribbean National Team of the Year five times. This year, the team will be vying for the title once again!
You can experience what they’re cooking up at their practice dinners held on Mondays at the Hilton Trinidad until June 10th (with the exception of March 25th and April 1st). Every Monday the team assembles for a mock competition and develops a three-course dinner menu from the week’s mystery basket. Practice dinners are open the public and it’s a uniquely interactive process where you dine and play food critic for an evening as you critique the team dinner.
Last week’s menu started with Oven Poached Shrimp and a Pholourie Pancake with Apple Compote topped with Paw Paw Chutney accompanied by a Roasted Tomato Sauce. The team turned out two entrees that evening – Local Rubbed Roasted Chicken rolled with Smash Plantain, served with a Dasheen Sauce flavoured with Mace (see picture) and a Tamarind Glazed Sea Bass, Pickled Garlic Vegetables and a Potato Water Biscuit. The dinner wrapped up with a Ponche de Creme Mousse stuffed with Mango Coulis, Cinnamon Macaroon Sandwich with Coconut Tofu Cream garnished with a Watermelon & Orange Sauce.
With menus like the one above, it’s no wonder that the T&T National Culinary Team has racked up yearly wins in multiple categories. Last year, T&T’s Devon Joseph took home the prize for Caribbean Chef of the Year 2012 and Isaiah Connel won Caribbean Junior Chef of the Year 2012.
If you’re interested in attending team dinners, here are the details:
- DATES - 2013 practice dinners are every Monday until June 17th with the exception of March 25th and April 1st.
- TIME - Cocktails from 7:30pm to 8pm and Dinner starts at 8pm
- LOCATION - Poolside at the Hilton Trinidad
- COST - $200 per person for a three course meal inclusive of wine (except for June 17th which is $400 as it’s a special fundraising dinner with additional courses)
- RESERVATIONS - Contact the Trinidad Hotels, Restaurants and Tourism Association at (868) 634-1174 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve. (Do NOT call the Hilton for the reservations.)
*The 2013 Trinidad & Tobago National Culinary Team members are:
- Raymond Joseph of Courtyard by Marriott – Team Captain
- Sabrina Rosales of Sabrina Exotic Chutneys – Vice Captain
- Jeremy Lovell of Courtyard by Marriott – Chef of the Year 2013
- Adrian Cumberbatch of Hyatt Regency Trinidad – Chef
- Janelle Ollivierre of Hilton Trinidad – Alternate Chef
- Naomi Lovell, Student Chef – Junior Chef
- Cheryl-Ann Shortt-Charles of TTHTI – Pastry Chef of the Year 2013
- Clinton Ramdhan of Martini Makers – Bartender of the Year 2013
- Karlina Permell of Hilton Trinidad – Alternate Bartender
The Trinidad Hotels Restaurants and Tourism Association (THRTA) is the convening organisation for the T&T National Culinary Team and holds an annual food & beverage competition to select chefs, pastry chefs, junior chefs and bartenders for the team.
Taste of the Caribbean is a competition-style event organized by the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association (CHTA) that showcases the region’s best chefs, pastry chefs, junior chefs and bartenders with the ultimate crowning of “Chef of the Year,” “Pastry Chef of the Year,” “Junior Chef of the Year,” “Bartender of the Year,” and “National Team of the Year.”