The month of December was very kind to T&T’s restaurant scene with nearly a dozen new options, including a new TAO SUSHI location, a proper French bistro in
St. AnnsMaraval, BBQ in Carenage, a full-service restaurant in Castara, two authentic Italian pizzerias, Trinidad’s first German restaurant, a new ice cream shop in Debe, and The Happy Gourmet in Valsayn.
- THE CANVAS BISTRO & BAR (St. James, Trinidad) - Monday-Friday 7am -4pm; Saturday 7am-3pm; and coming soon Sunday brunch 8am-2pm. #3 Long Circular Road. (868) 223-7251. Link to more information on THE CANVAS.
- FATMAN SMOKEHOUSE (Carenage, Trinidad) – Monday-Thursday 11am-7pm; Friday 11am -10pm; Saturday 11am-9pm and Sunday 11am-6pm. #189 Western Main Road. (868) 221-3015.
- TAO SUSHI (Maraval, Trinidad) – Full-service restaurant serving lunch and dinner at 129 Long Circular Road. Monday-Sunday 6pm – 11pm. (868) 324-0001.
- ZAZOU BISTRO MODERNE (St. Anns, Trinidad) -
Located in the L’Orchidee Boutique HotelLocated at the Trinidad Country Club, we can’t wait to try this new French bistro! Serving lunch (Wednesday-Friday) and dinner (Tuesday-Saturday), (868) 750-2083.
- ALL ITALIAN (St. Clair, Trinidad) – New store selling Italian wines, gourmet organic pasta, sauces, jams and olive oil. Monday & Thursday by appointment and Friday-Saturday 10am to 6pm. (868) 683-4162. Link to more details on ALL ITALIAN.
- TOWN RESTAURANT & BAR (Port of Spain, Trinidad) -Featuring Asian and Continental dishes and a Sunday brunch. #51 Cipriani Boulevard. Hours: Monday-Thursday 11am-10pm; Friday and Saturday 11am -11pm. (868) 627-8696. Link to Town Restaurant & Bar Facebook page.
- CASTARA RETREATS RESTAURANT (Castara, Tobago) – Serving housemade pasta, along with fish, chicken and lovely-sounding vegetarian entrees and desserts, this full-service restaurant is a welcome addition to the village of Castara. Saturday – Thursday 6pm-1o:30pm. Reservations are recommended. (868) 766-1010. Menu for Castara Retreats Tobago.
- V&J BRAUHAUS RESTAURANT & BEER GARDEN (St. Clair, Trinidad) – Opened on December 1st, this island brauhaus is “Trini meet Bavaria” with German “delights like Wurstsalat, Sausages, Munich’s Leberkase, not forgetting our own mouthwatering Trini cutters with our hot pepper sauce and of course all of Paulaner’s beer specialties.” Hours: Monday-Thursday 11am-10pm; Friday-Saturday 11am-11pm; Sunday 11am-3pm. (868) 622-7705. Links to Brauhaus website and Brauhaus Facebook page.
- THE HAPPY GOURMET (Valsayn, Trinidad) – A wide range of gourmet groceries and specialty foods are available in the East courtesy of Happy Gourmet. (868) 773-9009.
- BACCO ITALIANA PIZZERIA (San Fernando, Trinidad) – Sando first authentic Italian pizzeria opened on December 1, 2012! The Montis (the previous owners of La Cantina Pizzeria in Tobago) launched BACCO at #183 S.S. Erin Road in Duncan Village, and we know it will be a hit in South. (868) 743-4612.
- LA CANTINA PIZZERIA (Port of Spain, Trinidad) - Tobago’s most popular pizzeria is expanding to Trinidad bringing its authentic Italian wood-fired pizza to the capital city! With seating for 100 patrons (including outdoor seating) and a wine bar, LA CANTINA TRINIDAD is slated to open at #12 Victoria Avenue in December 2012. (868) 62 PIZZA.
- DREAMY CREAMY ICE CREAM COMPANY (Debe, Trinidad) – Dreamy Creamy expanded to a second location in Debe.
- PAPRIKA RESTAURANT & BAR (Port of Spain, Trinidad) - PAPRIKA has reopened with a new menu at a new location, #15 Rust Street. Currently, PAPRIKA is open for dinner from 6pm, Tuesday – Saturday. (868) 622-5930. Link to coverage of the restaurant’s soft opening.
- SOHO RESTAURANT & WINES (Woodbrook, Trinidad) – Serving Caribbean-Thai fusion cuisine, tapas, and wines, Soho is located where Mangoes previously was on Ariapita Avenue.
Don’t forget to check out the new SAN ANTONIO GREEN MARKET in Santa Cruz, Trinidad. Located in upper Santa Cruz, the San Antonio Green Market recently opened and sells “a mix of fresh produce (including unusual indigenous fruits, vegetables, herbs and seasonings), specialty foods (pastelle, payme, cocoa powder, goat’s milk) and artisanal items (wooden bowls and platters, handmade soaps, etc). Enjoy food and beverages (hot or iced coffee, fresh juices, currants rolls or pies) in a shady spot where you might meet friends or lime for a moment.”