The time honoured tradition of afternoon tea is perfect on a rainy day or to mark a special occasion with loved ones.
From hotel restaurants to bona fide tea houses, Trinidad has great choices for bottomless pots of tea along with treats both savoury and sweet (reservations are strongly recommended for these tea services):
DIANNE’S TEA SHOP (Maraval, Trinidad)
- Tea Menu: Choose from a range of teas including Dianne’s specialty and premium teas. The Signature Diane menu includes finger sandwiches, scones, canapes, tartlets and cakes. Link to menu.
ABERCROMBIE TEA HOUSE at St. Joseph’s Convent (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 624-7756)
- Day & Time: All-day tea service, Monday-Friday 11am-5pm
THE VERANDAH RESTAURANT (St. Clair, Trinidad; (868) 622-6287)
- Day & Time: Second Wednesday of every month, 4pm -6:30pm
- Price: $128/person exclusive of service charge & VAT
- Savoury & Sweet: Sample Menu – Cucumber & Dill Finger Sandwiches, Roasted Pepper, Goat Cheese & Walnut Sandwich Rolls, Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese & Caviar Puffs, Chicken & Celery Pies, Jam Filled Cream Scones, Fresh Fruit Tarts, Lemon Bars, Orange and Chocolate Cakes with Ganache. (Link to recent afternoon tea flyer.)
THE CARLTON SAVANNAH (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 621-5000)
- Days & Time: Tuesdays & Fridays, 3:30pm-5:30pm; SMAKS Bespoke Teas and “afternoon culinary delights” are served. (Link to afternoon tea flyer)
- Price: $150 + VAT
ORTINOLA GREAT HOUSE (Maracas Valley, Trinidad; (868) 696-1507)
Ortinola is probably Trinidad’s most scenic and relaxing place for tea. The flora and fauna of Ortinola’s beautiful grounds actually inspired local artist Sarah Beckett’s recent work, Ortinola Variations.
- Days & Time: Occasional Sundays (call for schedule), 3pm – 5pm
- Price: Tea is $125 to $150 inclusive of service charge & VAT
- Savoury & Sweet: Sample Menu – Accra with Melongene; Vegetarian Samosas; Spinach Quiche; Quiche Lorraine; Open-Faced Chicken Salad Sandwich; Smoked Salmon w/Cream Cheese in Filo; Mini-Croissants w/Cheese Filling; Carrot Cake; Fruit Cup; Cheesecake Brownie; Sponge Cake w/Guava Jam Filling; Eclairs.
- Note: Email email@example.com to be added to Ortinola’s tea service email list.
- Blog Post: Here’s one visitor’s account of tea at Ortinola.
JAFFA AT THE OVAL (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 628-6200 or (868) 622-6825)
- Day & Time: Wednesday, 4pm – 6pm
- Price: $160/person inclusive of all taxes
- “Tea” Menu: Selection of teas, herbal teas or coffee
- Savoury & Sweet: Finger sandwiches, filled profiteroles, savoury pies and quiche, English tea scones w/double cream & preserves, assorted cakes and pastries. (Served buffet style.)
BUMBLEBERRY CAKES & DESSERTS (San Fernando, Trinidad; (868) 223-6446 or (868) 759-0521
- Days & Time: Features specialty teas (and coffee drinks as well) is open Tuesday – Sunday, 10am-6pm.
CINNAMON DELI & PATISSERIE – Hyatt Trinidad (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 821-6553)
- Days & Time: Wednesday, 3:30pm – 5pm
- Price: $150/person exclusive of service charge & taxes (each person entitled to 12 items from Savoury & Sweet Menu along with tea, coffee and juice).
- Tea Menu: Tea choices include hot ginger twist, chamomile, peppermint, earl grey, coconut truffle, darjeeling, spicy pumpkin or papaya ginger.
- Savoury & Sweet: Cumin chicken filo shells, mushroom zucchini croutons, smoked salmon baguette with cream cheese, chicken samosas, fried cassava, saltfish cakes, pimento spiced shrimp salsa; champagne jelly shots with strawberries; housemade scones, blueberry muffins, strawberry danish and cookies.
CAFFE DEL MARE (Chaguaramas, Trinidad; (868) 634-4000 ext. 437)
- Day & Time: Tuesday & Thursday
- Prices: $30 – $75 depending on tea package
- “Tea” Menu: Selection of teas and/or coffee or juice depending on selected tea package
- Savoury & Sweet: Sandwiches (cucumber, tuna, ham, and smoked salmon); Savouries (vegetable spring rolls and chicken & herb puff); Sweets (chocolate torte and cherry cheesecake); Scones (ham, cranberry and English cream), along with butter, creams and jams.
POOL TERRACE GARDEN RESTAURANT – Hilton Trinidad (Port of Spain, Trinidad; (868) 624-3211)
- Days & Time: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 4pm – 6pm
- Price: $205.56/person inclusive of service charge & VAT
- Tea Menu: Tea selection from Tea Forte
- Savoury & Sweet: Cheese, ham, cucumber open-faced sandwiches; savoury pastries; scones and other sweet pastries; jams and jellies. (Served buffet style.)
HOUSE OF JAIPUR (Woodbrook, Trinidad; (868) 624-7465) – House of Jaipur has a beautiful tearoom!
- Days & Time: Tearoom schedule, Tuesday – Saturday, 10am-5:30pm (last reservation at 4:30pm)
- Price: Tea and food are available a la carte – prices are available on House of Jaipur’s website
- Tea Menu: offers nearly 30 teas: Black, organic, green, white, and rooibos teas (click here for the full tea menu)
- Savoury & Sweet: Indian savouries like dosas, lamb samosas, masala club sandwiches, and a masala vegetable burger (click here for the full Indian savoury menu); Indian sweets are gulab jamun, nan khatai, kulfi, and Indian sweet plate (click here for full Indian sweets menu).
DOLCE VITA GOURMET CAFE (MovieTowne POS, Trinidad; (868) 624-6378/624-9984)
- Days & Time: Tea schedule, Monday – Friday, 3pm-6pm (except for public holidays)
- Price: Tea for Two Special $110
PAX GUEST HOUSE (Tunapuna, Trinidad; (868) 662-4084). Ramin Ganeshram describes tea at the Pax Guest House as “the tea of my dreams,” in her book “Sweet Hands: Island Cooking from Trinidad & Tobago.”
- Days & Time: Monday – Sunday, 3pm – 6pm
- Price: $30/person inclusive of VAT
- Note: The tea garden is under renovation so afternoon tea is held in the dining room.
More of a coffee drinker? Check out our five great coffee spots in the West (Trinidad)!
Can’t make it to a tea service? Create your own special tea event at home with various teas, tea sets and accessories from TEA-LICIOUS, a local company. Also, check out AhPiece.com, an online retailer of artisan products in Trinidad and Tobago that sells local Smaks Bespoke Teas.
NOTE: Every effort is made to keep this list updated, but please call to confirm tea days and times, menus and prices. All tea services, menus and prices as well as the days and times are subject to being withdrawn or changed at the restaurant’s discretion.